OUR LOVE STORY, Part 3 - Fun Turns Awkward


December 7-11, 1998 – Monday-Friday

After John and I enjoyed a fun and friendly lunch on Monday, the work week went by quickly. John did keep his promise to call. We talked most evenings once the boys were tucked in bed.

Thursday was choir practice. We were preparing for our Christmas Cantata. There wasn’t much time for chit-chat. We did confirm plans to go out after work the next night.

Please excuse me while I take a little nerd moment to appreciate the time change from Tallahassee’s Eastern time to Jackson/Holmes County’s Central time. If it weren’t for that time change, our story may have looked a little different. 

John and I each worked an 8-5 state job. His five o’clock was my four o’clock. Because of that time difference, we were able to meet at his mom’s house in Graceville, Florida just after five-thirty on Friday evening.

We were still getting to know each other. John had purchased a home in Graceville that year. The boys and I were living in my grandparents’ old home in Bethlehem. Meeting at either of our homes still seemed too personal.

Also, my mom and dad never hesitated to watch the boys. I had so many wonderful people to help me through that time. There was an amazing friend who kept the boys before and after school. Mom was happy to pick the boys up - after she got off work - when I had choir practice and when I had plans for an evening with a new friend.

Just after five-thirty on Friday evening, December 11th, I parked my car in John’s mom’s yard. John was already there. His mom wasn’t home, so we jump in his truck and headed to Panama City Beach.

We went to a beautiful restaurant on the beach. I don’t recall the name. It was closed long ago.

After ordering our food, our conversation was so intense that we didn’t realize we had been forgotten. Our waiter interrupted us and apologized. Nearly an hour had passed by! Our meal was free that night. It was also deliciously worth the wait.

Once we finished our meal, a walk on the beach seemed necessary. I mean, we were at the beach. It would have been wrong to miss out on hearing the peaceful sound of waves and feeling sand in our toes.

It was cold outside. John insisted I take his coat. He took my hand for a minute as we strolled the shoreline, until we both realized what had happened. We walked back, separately and in silence, to his truck.

I don’t remember the ride home. I’m sure I played with the radio while he drove. It’s a nervous habit.

By the time we got back to his mom’s house, John had broken the tension with jokes. He’s good at that. 

He walked me to my car. I gave him back his coat. We awkwardly hugged goodbye.

Comments

Popular Posts