Our Love Story, Part 6 - Are You Okay?


Monday Evening, December 14 – Friday, December 18, 1998

Monday night, after John hung up on me, the boys and I continued our school night routine. Letting them feel like anything was unusual would not happen if I could help it. They had finished supper. I put them in the tub.

About twenty-five minutes had passed since his call. The boys were just getting dried off when we heard someone knocking really hard on the front door. I told the boys to get their pj’s on and brush their teeth while I found out who was knocking.

The bathroom was at the back of the house. I walked as calmly and quickly as I could into the front room. The knocking hadn’t stopped. When I got closer, I could hear, “Teresa, it’s me, John. Open this door!”

It seemed pretty clear that if I didn’t open the door, he would! At least I was no longer confused. He was going to see for himself that we were okay.

I hurried to unlock and open the door. As soon as the door opened, John stepped inside. As soon as John stepped inside, two very excited little – underwear clad - boys ran past me and tackled John’s legs.

He mouthed the words, “Are you okay?”, as he walked like a giant under attack, with two little boys gleefully clinging to each leg, into the front room.

I shut and locked the door again while avoiding his question. “The boys were just getting out of the tub AND should finish getting dressed. I’m pretty sure they haven’t brushed their teeth either.” I spoke loud enough for the mini attackers to hear.

“Go get finished and then you can play.” They didn’t put up too much fuss before hurrying back to the bathroom.

I motioned to the couch for John to sit as I tried to convince him, “We are fine. I really don’t think (let’s just call the ex – Earl) Earl is going to do more than he already has. He’s just trying to scare me and today he succeeded.”

“Well, it’s better to take precautions than ignore a threat. Is it okay if I hang out a little while?”

“Sure. The boys would be disappointed if I made you leave now.”

---

Later on (I don’t know how much later – weeks or months?), John told me that his mom had been married to a violent man after his dad died. When John was a security officer in the Air Force, that man had put his mom in the hospital. He couldn’t be there for her and his younger siblings, but he could be there for me and the boys.

---

John stayed and roughhoused with the boys until their bedtime. He brought in firewood, made sure our old wood stove was well lit, and made a game of learning tactical defense moves. We said goodbye to him before the boys got tucked in.

Tuesday and Wednesday night, John called after the boys and I got home. When I answered, his words were the same, “I’m home. Can I come over?” I didn’t say no.

Thursday night was choir practice. My mom had the boys. John was gentleman enough not to ask to come over.

By Friday afternoon’s drive home from work, I realized there had been no more calls from Earl. I thanked God for that blessing. I also thanked God for John’s friendship. Although I knew there was a mutual attraction between us, I appreciated John’s respect for my boundaries.

I did have more than a little concern about how quickly Tim and AJ had gotten attached to John. If he started dating someone, how would they take his absence? They would miss him. I would too.

He called again after we got home. “I’m home. Can I come over?” I didn’t say no.

Comments

Popular Posts